[TR] Radiator Paint - little LBC

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 16:33:25 MST 2009

On 1/27/09, John & Pat Donnelly <pdonnel1 at san.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in spiffing up my engine compartment and want to renew the
> look of the radiator. B I read somewhere that the paint used on radiators is
> different than the normal enamel or acrylic, even the high temp ones. So,
> what's special about it? Is the paint used on barbeques the same stuff?

As others have said, clearly enamel and acrylic won't dissipate heat as
quickly. I used Rustoleum Barbecue paint on mine, not overgenerously, mind
you, since you just want the color not the protection, and have had no
overheating problems in four years of daily driving, even with a non-hooked
vane water pump.B

Then again, of course, after sitting outsideB through a New Hampshire winter,
I'm thinking my little car has decided to refuse registering any such foohardy
notion as overheating.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire