[TR] My TR6 Hit Last Wednesday

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 17:42:29 MST 2009

Marty,
I accidentally deleted your original post.
I am a bit confused as to what you have asked about the insurance company
and the value of your car.  I assume you have insured with one of the  companies
specializing in collector cars.  As I see it, one of two things  are going to
happen.  Either the cost of repairs is going to be less than  the declared
value and the car will be repaired (you will be made whole, as  Randall has
pointed out) or the cost of repairs will exceed the definition of  total and it
will be declared a total loss and you  will be paid out the  declared value.
The car will now have a salvage value.  I have  known this to happen in the past
(I have not done it) where you buy the car from  the insurance company for
the salvage value which will be considerably less than  the declared value
(hopefully).  Go to RATCO buy a frame and make yourself  a new car.
I think your concern about CarFax is overstated.
Where I have known the owner to buy for salvage value, the insurance  company
was delighted as they had very little to deal with in terms of a totaled
car.  Money changes hands and the insurance company walks away without  having to
dispose of the car.  Maybe different insurance companies view  this
differently but I have seen this happen.
There must be a lister with experience in this.

BTW I am sorry.  This must be misery.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO