[TR] TR3A sold at Barrett-Jackson

don don at napanet.net
Sat Jan 24 16:11:34 MST 2009

Hi Fred,

There's no substitute for taking a car out on the road and driving it over
some railroad tracks, up and down a steep hill, through some curves, idle
in traffic, accelerate briskly, stop suddenly, and so on.  Then looking
underneath after the test drive while it idles, looking for leaks and
listening for noises.  There are a lot of gremlins lurking in any old
car.  Most of the old cars I've purchased I have checked out as much as I
can to avoid surprises.  There will always be something wrong, but it's far
better to know before you lay your money down.  I test drove a really
pretty TR4 two weeks ago.  After the test drive, as it idled in the garage,
there were some strange noises coming from the gearbox that I didn't hear
prior to the drive.

I've purchased two cars at a distance that were checked out for me by
fellow enthusiasts who gave the cars their blessings.  A Riley 1.5 in
Hawaill and a '62 Buick Skylark convertible in Connecticut.  I didn't look
at them or drive them myself.  When they arrived, there were issues that I
had not been told about.  I couldn't even get the Buick off the trailer as
the linkage on the 4-speed was bound up.  The amateur rust repairs were the
worst feature on it though.

I have heard horror stories of people buying cars on eBay, and having them
shipped to them, only to discover that the cars were a mess, but looked
good in photos.  At least at a regular car auction, you can look at the car
in person!  But can you test drive it?  I don't think so.

Don Scott
1991 Miata SE BRG
1962 MGA Mk II
1973 MGB GT