[TR] MIG Welders

mark.jones at exxonmobil.com mark.jones at exxonmobil.com
Wed Jan 21 08:53:40 MST 2009

I have the Hobart 135, which is the same machine as the Miller 135, but
with a bit more plastic.  It is a very easy machine to use. On the back of
the door it has a chart for setting based on metal thickness and gas.  I
just follow the recommended setting for the most part and have had great
luck.  Last winter I used this machine to weld floors, sills, rear fender,
etc, on my Spitfire.  Worked like a charm.  I used just over a 5 lb spool
of 0.30 wire.

I've used the same technique as Brian with the copper, in fact I bought
plug welding pliers for about $10 that have a thick 1" disk of copper for
just that reason, a very handy set of pliers.

Mark

From: "Brian Induni" <308gtsi at roadrunner.com>

I can attest to the Miller products - great welders! I've had my Miller 135
for years and it's done everything I've wanted it to.

Also, if you're having burn thru problems, try backing the weld area with
copper (I use a flattened copper pipe) to dissipate the heat.