[TR] Tires/Roll Bar

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 16:02:21 MST 2009

>    The Cooper Sportmaster GLT is a great tire, if you can find it (out of
> production).

Hopefully this is old news to all, but JIC someone didn't get the word:

Tires get 'old' even sitting on the shelf.  Opinions vary as to how old is
"too old", but all the major players seem to agree that you should never
drive on tires that are more than 10 years old.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

So if you do find a set of Sportmaster GLT tires on someone's shelf, be sure
to ask how old they are (or better yet, check the date code on the sidewall
yourself).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

I've had several failures myself that I feel were due to using old tires.
Some of them were uneventful (first time it just felt like the tire had gone
flat, tho it was still at 30 psi); but on the Stag the old tire turned into
a giant flap wheel and flayed both paint and metal off the fender, in the
time it took me to slow down and pull over.

Randall