[TR] Tires/Roll Bar

Skip Gurnee skip47 at clearwire.net
Sat Jan 17 09:42:35 MST 2009

Randall wrote:
IMO any bar that doesn't tie into the frame at least 4 points
> (preferably 6) is only for looks and unlikely to be helpful in case of an
> actual rollover.  And I've not been willing to hack into the car that much
> (and live with the encroachment on cockpit space) for a "real" roll bar.

What isn't mentioned is the effect on frame stiffness, which is important to
handling.  The TR is a notable flexible flyer, and even a simple hoop
attached at two points and without diagonal brace makes a big difference.
My cousin raced his that way, even tested it in anger, and not only lived,
but had the car in first gear ready to keep going after it stopped rolling!
(They wouldn't let him continue...spoilsports.)
The point here is what are one's priorities?  If you value handling more
than the loss of space, you might appreciate the improvement.  Just make
sure the thing is attached to the frame, not just bodywork, and don't test
it unless it's built to present-day standards!
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4
65 TR4A