[TR] Tire/Tube Q.

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:05:22 MST 2009

Hi Randall

>From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>
>
>> the major manufacturers have really given up on us.  This means we're
>> stuck with low-volume producers
>
>Well, I guess, if you consider $1 billon/year to be low volume (Vredestein).
>Certainly not the same class as Michelin or Bridgestone, but not exactly
>Joe's Garage & Screen Door company either.  And while not exactly as
>scientific as the Tire Rack tests, there are numerous consumer reviews to be
>found.  Eg,
>http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124441
>"... we were surprised at how well the 16-inch Vredestein Sprint Classic
>tires held on."

[snip]

>> because there is HUGE
>> variation in traction and performance between different tire models, even
>> from the same reputable manufacturer.
>
>Indeed, that is very true.  And is exactly why I started down the path of
>fitting wider, low profile tires to my TR3A, because high performance tires
>were simply not available in tall, skinny profiles.  This has been true for
>upwards of 30 years, it's not a recent thing.  Something about the laws of
>physics ...

   My point was about variation in grip between different models within the same tire size.  Even a 165R15 is plenty grippy for a street-driven TR4 (IMHO), as long as you choose a tire with a good compound, like the Coopers... too bad they aren't made any more.  Choose badly, and even a wide tire can be downright dangerous.
   Even normally good manufacturers can have their duds.  For example, my former Honda Del Sol came with nearly new Pirelli P5000 Drago tires on it (195/60R14).  These tires were marginal in the dry, and criminally bad in the wet.  Simply lifting the throttle on a gentle downhill curve was enough to break the rear end loose and send it swinging around.  After several close calls, I looked at the consumer ratings and upgraded to Michelins in the same size, and the difference was night and day.
   That quote in the Edmunds article makes my other point exactly:  The reason they were were "surprised" at how well the tire held on is because they had not been able to find consumer review ratings to verify its performance beforehand.  ;)
   I know I'm spoiled, but I don't even consider a tire any more unless it has very high user ratings, with at least a million cumulative miles reporting in.  Let somebody else test the new models as they come out; I'll stick to the tried and true.

   In the meantime, I'll keep on dreaming of a 165R15 Michelin HydroEdge.
-Nick Wolf
Seattle
'62-ish TR4