[TR] Brake Bleeding Process

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 10:32:42 MST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Danielson <75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org>

The Feb issue of Hemmings S&EC magazine has a brake bleeding procedure which
is different than what I've always done...so maybe I've been doing it wrong.

I've always opened the bleeder, had the wife gently pump the brakes a few
times and then hold the brake pedal down while I closed the bleeder. We'd do
that until there were no more air bubbles.

The Hemmings procedure starts with the bleeder CLOSED, while the assistant
gently pumps 5 or 6 times and then holds the pedal down. At this point you
OPEN the bleeder until the fluid stops flowing and then close the bleeder.
And repeat until there's no more air bubbles.

 ==AM==
My fear of the "Hemmings" procedure (groundless fear though it might be) is that pushing on the pedal before opening the bleeed screw could distribute the air bubbles around the system and not towards the bleed screw you're about to open. Maybe that's just silly? I donno....

Anyway, Girling recommends the "open bleed screw first" procedure, or at least they did back in 1964. See:

<http://www.templeoftriumph.org/tsoa/images/64jan4.jpg>

This is also the way the various Triumph workshop manuals have described.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us