[TR] Brake Bleeding Process

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Wed Jan 14 10:00:36 MST 2009

> If you pump up and down with the bleeder open, you'll suck in some air at
> the bleeder and waste time at least.  You might also aerate the fluid,
> particularly with silicone (DOT5), and make it harder to bleed all the air
> out.

But if you run a piece of tubing from the bleeder into a bottle of clean
brake fluid and keep the tubing under the surface, you can both see the air
bubbles leaving and prevent the induction of air into the brake lines.  I
have always done it this way.  First, install tubing and place in bottle of
fluif; second, open bleeder; third, have assistant pump until no more
bubbles seen; fourth, tighten bleeder and top up MC; fifth, proceed to next
wheel; sixth, repeat procedure depending upon number of wheels (four is
usual, but YMMV); seventh, open two bottles of Newcastle, one for you and
one for able assistant.

Mike