[TR] Tire/Tube Q.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 09:52:18 MST 2009

> Now that one has a problem for the passenger side front
> loses air over time and I could be cornering with low
> pressure, therefore it  would be best to put tubes in, huh?

"Best" to get the leak fixed, IMO.  Dismount the tire, inspect the bead
surface for any flaws, and put a coat of paint inside the wheel.

Otherwise, if the pressure is low (and 20 psi is dang low IMO, easy to tell
from the cars handling that there is a problem), drive carefully without any
hard cornering to the nearest service station and put more air in.  Remember
that the low tire will have very poor traction and lateral stability anyway;
so the tire on the other side will be handling most of the side force of
cornering.  As long as you don't get into a situation where it could slide,
you won't have a problem with too much side force on the low tire.

> Now even though I plan on  buying new wire wheels, those will
> require tubes, correct?

Dayton now offers "tubeless" wire wheels.  These are fairly ordinary wire
wheels and look exactly the same from the outside, but the area inside the
wheel where there is normally a rubber band is instead filled with silicone
RTV to seal the spokes.  I put a set on a Stag in 2004 and they still seem
to hold air just fine.

Randall