[TR] Painting a car

Gary Lied tritongreen at ceva.net
Fri Jan 9 08:50:18 MST 2009

The first LBC I painted I used an Campbell Hausfield HVLP turbine I
purchased from Northern Tool and used Nason urethane paint.  I painted the
car in my garage and had no more problems than a friend who had a pro paint
his car in his garage with a pro HVLP gun and compressor.  After wet sanding
and buffing, I too was often asked where I had the car painted.  Since then
I have purchased a quality HVLP gun and used base coat/top coat finishes and
acrylic enamel with good results.  The base coat/top coat required some
sanding/polishing, but the local body shops sand and polish after painting
too.  I still use the turbine but primarily on farm equipment that I can't
get into the shop.

There is a real satisfaction in doing it yourself.  One caution, make sure
your primers and top coats are compatible.  If not, a beautiful paint job
will turn to crap after the paints cure.

Gary Lied
74 TR6, 78 & 80 TR7