[TR] Painting a car

Jim and Diggle diggle at clear.net.nz
Thu Jan 8 22:04:24 MST 2009

I painted my TR4 because it needed tidying up and I didn't have the money to
have someone do a down to metal job so I decided to respray it after
repairing the defects.
I was going to get someone to spray it after I did the bodywork but the cost
was going to be over NZ$3000 or US$1740.
I did the bodywork and purchased the paint for about NZ$900. I chose a 2
pack non-isocyanate truck paint.
The 2 pack car paints are expensive and highly toxic, the truck paint is
cheaper and less toxic, will last as long and is as glossy. I painted one
fender or door at a time in a very small garage. Once in a while it would be
two parts of the body at a time. I could only paint part of one side because
the car was hard up against one wall to give me room to move. I puts lots of
coats on. The best advice I can give is to practise lots and to buy 2x the
paint you need so that you can sand all the runs and orange peel out and
then respay the areas that have been sanded down to the undercoat. Would I
do it again, yes with a fresh air spray mask to protect my eyes and lungs.

Jim and the 1962 TR4 whose fuel pump does not leek.