[TR] Painting a car

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 16:02:00 MST 2009

In a message dated 1/7/2009 5:35:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tr3a at comcast.net writes:

Any
thoughts, personal experiences,
I am sure this will not be of much help but since you asked.  I have  painted
one car in my lifetime.  It was my 76 Triumph Spitfire in Carmine  Red nearly
25 years ago.  I was really into it and spend days primering and  sanding it
until the day of the spray.  In those days lacquer was the paint  of choice.
It was a real disaster for all I could get out of the spay can was  like
Carmine cotton candy. I then proceeded to sand for days again and I  brought in a
friend who said he knew how to do it and again we ended up with a  dull finish
that would not shine up after days of wet sanding, etc.   Finally I took it to
a professional and paid for a base coat/clear coat job  which is to this day
showing very well.

You might think that Lacquer was the problem but right around the same  time
we attempted to paint my buddies Porsche 914 with enamel.  We laid it  on
thick and it was looking good until the June Bugs came and started to do the  back
stroke on our still drying paint.  Nothing like the positive flow  paint
booth like the pros have so you know what I would recommend.

Regards,
Darrell