[TR] Painting a car

Michael Ferguson tr3a at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 15:34:46 MST 2009

Well, since asking a question here on a cold, ice-stormy day in
Connecticut, is much more pleasant than working on my restoration in my
unheated garage, I thought I'd throw this one out there. I am debating
whether or not I have the nerve to attempt to paint my own car. Assuming
I ever get that far. I've never painted anything much larger than an oil
filler cap (well, except my HOUSE), so I have a lot to learn.

Still, since there are multiple layers of things that need to be sprayed
on the beast, I'm thinking that, at the very least, I could manage
everything up to the finish coats. However, water, oil and compressor
capacity are concerns so I was considering one of those HVLP turbine
kits - no water, no oil and no compressor. TP Tools sells several,
though they are only two-stage units and I would still need some sort of
breathing device. Yesterday, I came across a four-stage unit called the
AXIS Citation that comes with an Accuspray gun (gravity or bottom feed)
as well as a full head respirator that provides a forced outside air
supply. Either the TP or Axis kits will wind up costing about the same
(by the time I buy a similar breathing unit for the TP).

Just wondering if I should...

1) just give it up and pay someone to do this (which would be
logistically difficult and I have to believe, considerably more expensive),
2) buy a respirator, standard HVLP guns, more filters/coolers/whatever
and use the 2-stage compressor I already have (though I'm not sure it's
enough) or
3) get one of these turbines/respirators and have at it.

Do any of you know about either the TP or Axis turbines? Or other
brands/models that may be preferable? Or are turbines simply not
suitable, regardless of the seller's claims?

I would really like to be able to say that I did it myself. On the other
hand, I don't want it to look like I did it with a BRUSH!!! Any
thoughts, personal experiences, caveats, opinions of the products
mentioned (or others) would be most appreciated. Thanks!