[TR] TR3A radiator re-core

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jan 7 06:14:48 MST 2009

In a message dated 1/6/2009 5:07:08 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3a at comcast.net writes:
> I  do recommend keeping all of your fingers and your thumb on the same
>    side  of  the crank handle though (don't grab it like a baseball bat).
>    Sometimes  there's a bit of a kickback and if your thumb's in the way,
>    well...

I have hand cranked my TR3 (mostly as a parlor trick at car shows) which got
me to thinking about the safety issues.  To me the big problem is due to the
fact that the timing is set before TDC.  If the spark ignites the fuel BTDC the
engine can run backwards for half a turn or so.  And it will do so with a lot
of force.  Therefore, there are two things to keep in mind when hand cranking
an engine:

1: Keep your legs out of the turning circle of the crank.  Since the engaging
dog is designed to disengage when running forward it will hold fast when
running backwards.  If your leg is in the way it will get broke.

2: Always pull and never push the handle.  If the engine dies kick back it
will pull the handle out of your hands if you are pulling.  If you are pushing
it will toss you into the weeds (more likely break your wrist or arm).

In my opinion, concerning yourself where you put your thumb is trivial after
these two considerations.

To minimize the risk of kick back one can retard the timing.  The distributor
is mounted on a plate with a slot in it.  If this plate is positioned at full
advance when the timing is set one needs only to loosen the screw, retard the
timing during starting, and then set the distributor back to full advance to
set the timing back to the original setting.

                   ***Warning, shaggy dog alert***
Years ago I worked with a guy who came of age between WW2 and the Korean War.
 He bought a motorcycle that was equipped with a timing retard lever for
starting purposes.  Soon after he got it his brother came over to see it.  Hollis,
in his enthusiasm, was bragging about how easy it was to start.  he turned
the key on and operated the retard lever.  As it just so happened, the last time
he shut it down the engine stopped just after TDC.  Retarding the timing
caused the points, that were closed, to open again.  The spark ignited the
gasoline that was still in the cylinder (since it had been run recently) and caused
the engine to start with no further involvement from him.  His bother's remark
was "Boy, it really does start easily."

Hand starting a TR3 is fun and satisfying but there are risks involved.  Take
great care in doing so.  Please.

Dave