[TR] [6pack] Torque Wrench Dilemma

levilevi levilevi at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 17:29:36 MST 2009

Bob,

Here's how I got to my comfort level with tightening the nut on my CV axle/hub
setup.  I also have a 150 limit on my torque wrench so I tightened the nuts up
to that limit and tried to calibrate my mind and muscle memory so that when I
reached the torque wrench's limit and put a breaker bar on the socket I could
give it a little more twist that I "felt" like was closer to the 220 ft/lbs.
It was maybe half a flat more.  Basically I did it with "feel"....and finding
my center, to do the torque.  It also helps to know that you're going to bend
the lip of the nut onto the flat part of the shaft as a safety for keeping
that nut from moving....I guess that will hold it...something a little more
high tech might have been nice though.   That's how I dealt with not having a
bigger torque wrench.  No problems for the couple thousand miles I've put on
so far.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)