[TR] Torque Wrench Dilemma

William Babbitt wbabbitt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 3 06:46:39 MST 2009

Hi Bob,
Yes, 160 lbs of you on the end of an 18" breaker bar will result in about 240
ft-lbs of torque.
However, setting your torque wrench at 125 ft-lbs and extending the handle to
24" will only make it easier for you to get to 125 ft-lbs.  The torque wrench
doesn't care what you do with the handle length.
So......
Go ahead and step on that breaker bar.
I had to do the same thing for the rear axle nut on my TVR 280i.  It worked
just fine.
thanks,
Bill Babbitt
Gales Ferry, CT