[TR] TR4 Big End Bearings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 18:44:59 MST 2009

> Since there is
> no undersized stamp on the bearing, can I assume that it's
> standard size?

Probably.  But I sure wouldn't button it up without double-checking.  If you
don't have at least dial calipers ($15 @ Enco), then try some Plastigage
with the new standard bearings.

I would also be replacing the mains, if the rods were that bad.  The front
two should be no problem without pulling the engine/crank, and I've done the
rear on my TR3A.  The trick is to remove only one cap at a time, so the
other two continue to support the crank.  I flatten one of the bottom
inserts to use as a drift to start the upper insert out, then pinch it
against the crank with my thumb & turn the crank to roll it the rest of the
way out.  I've heard of jamming a cotter pin into one of the oil holes and
using it to push the insert into place, but my method seemed easier to me.

Randall