[TR] no fire in the hole-'71 tr6

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 16:53:38 MST 2009

> I have the newer type ele.igniton, no points, is some sort of
> magnetic setup when the points would go, of course.

That would probably be a Pertonix then.  Since a 71 TR6 wouldn't have a
ballast resistor, most likely it is getting it's power from the positive
terminal of the coil.  But it's best to trace the wires, as whoever
installed it may have chosen to go a different route.

Also worth checking that you have the right coil for a 71 TR6 without a
ballast resistor.  The coil changed in 73 (when a ballast resistor wire was
incorporated in the wiring harness), and I have seen the wrong coil sold.
The Pertronix is rather sensitive to coil resistance, and can overheat if
used with the wrong coil/ballast setup.

Or even if you leave the key on for more than a few minutes with the engine
not running, apparently.

Randall