[TR] Engine building tips

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sat Feb 28 15:49:30 MST 2009

Tony Drews wrote:
> I just posted these "uncle jack's engine building tips", and thought
> you guys would be interested.  This is for the TR-2/3/4 motor, and
> really intended for race motors but has a bunch of stuff that can help
> for street motors too.  Jack wrote this up in one of his brief
> hospital stays to stave off the boredom and intended for this to be
> shared.

One thing to be considered about the cam degreeing notes in the above.
If the cam specs indicate, say, 0.050" lift at the valve at a particular
point of cam rotation, then measuring 0.050" at the lifter or pushrod,
as the notes indicate, would be incorrect, since this does not take
rocker ratio into account.  If the ratio is reliably 1.5:1, then one
should be measuring, 0.033" at the lifter or pushrod.  If the cam specs
are for 0.050" lift at the lobe, then, of course, Jack's notes would be
correct.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....