[TR] TR3A Temp gauge

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 10:45:56 MST 2009

> This is now getting annoying.  First my ammeter gave up on me
> and  works intermittently which indicates, to me, a bad
> connection in the  gauge.

Should be easy to tell the difference.  Shut the engine off (if it's
running) and see if anything works.  If the problem is a bad connection to
the gauge, the headlights, fuel gauge, warning lights etc. will all not
work.

>  Now my temp gauge suddenly stopped
> working.  I don't think it  is the gauge because when the
> temp under the dash goes over 90 degrees the gauge  records
> it.

That's pretty strange.  Are you sure there is water in the thermostat
housing?

These gauges work by having liquid ether in the bulb, and the gauge reads
the vapor pressure of the ether.  So the gauge itself (the part in the dash)
is not sensitive to temperature, only pressure.

>  (I am in Florida).  Can these capillary tubes be  repaired?

Probably best to send them to a shop, like MO-MA, that is equipped to deal
with them.  (BTW, I suspect Lou missed a '1' when typing that price, or else
he is VERY good friends with the owner of MO-MA <g>)  However, some people
have managed to repair them at home.  Basically you buy a new mechanical
temp gauge, and graft it's bulb and tubing to your original gauge, while
keeping the bulb cold so the ether doesn't evaporate (much).  Here's an
article on the subject:
http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Randall