[TR] TR3 front wheel bearings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 18:16:59 MST 2009

> Further to Randall's advice would like mention that on the inside of the
> hub there are for each race
> two cut-outs to place the drift. Not easily visible with the grease. I
> am not sure whether the TR3 hubs
> have this feature but for sure the ones from TR4A and TR6.

That's true, and the TR3 hubs (at least the disc brake ones) do have the
cutouts for removing the outer races (aka cups).

But just to be clear, I was talking only about tapping out the inner cone &
rollers (taking the seal with it).  I do not advocate removing the cups from
the hub, unless you plan to replace them.  They can be adequately inspected
and greased while still in the hub; and removing them adds needless
complexity (and chances for damage) to the job.

Thus the cutouts are not needed unless you are replacing the bearings.  Of
course any sign of damage, discoloration, or even a matte surface is grounds
for replacement; and each cone/cup pair should be replaced as a unit.  But
with careful maintenance, that doesn't happen very often.

Randall