[TR] TR Handbrake Q

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 03:03:08 MST 2009

> I noticed an instruction in the WSM that said the ratchet
> must be left loose on the attachment plate during
> installation, it does not say if, once in position inside the
> lever that it should be tightened, I have choose not to, and
> have a nyloc nut barely nipped up to the bolt holding it to
> the plate, I do have a H/brake that operates very well now.
> Is this correct?

Mine says "Tighten the nut sufficiently to allow the attachment plate to
swing on the ratchet." which I take to mean snug, but not tight.

As I see it, the ratchet is supposed to be able to pivot slightly as the
handle moves through it's operational arc, as the radii are not perfectly
matched.

Randall