[TR] Tryin g to get car to start after a slow two year rebuild.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 16:29:17 MST 2009

> My test is t0 squirt a little starting fluid in the carbs &
> then try to start it.

John beat me to it.  So all I can add is that I find that ordinary
carburetor cleaner actually works better for this purpose than modern
"starting fluid".  Just a brief spray down each throat, perhaps one second's
worth, then stop spraying and try to start the engine.  You may need to keep
cranking for a bit, but if it doesn't at least fire after 10-15 seconds of
cranking, then IMO you have no ignition or no compression.

However, on the bad gas point, I suspect that 5 year old fuel may actually
be better than 2 year old fuel in CA.  The ethanol that has replaced MTBE
seems to both make it "go off" far faster than before; and be more apt to
plug passages and float valves.  My lawnmower has started every season for
almost 20 years, but last year it would NOT run until I cleaned both the
float valve, and the main jet.  And I literally had to chip away what looked
like a lime deposit, to clear the main jet.  Gumout wouldn't touch it.

Randall