[TR] tr3 cooling

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 17:05:10 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/21/2009 11:31:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rtriplett25 at yahoo.com writes:

The  original fan doesn't seem to do the best job drawing air in. Moss sells
a  conversion kit that fits the much-improved six bladed yellow fan. Cost:
$240

Wow.  I have a yellow fan on my TR3A, two friends have yellow  fans on their
TR3A, and none of us paid $240 to get this done.  I just  mounted the yellow
fan and then moved the radiator forward as much as possible  by elongating the
holes.  This is may be 1/8", tops, and it works  fine.  IMHO this conversion
kit is not necessary.
As to the recore, you are talking about some fairly serious $.  The  price of
this job has gone way up in the last couple of years.
What I found in my motor, and I understand that it is fairly common, is  that
the coolant passages in cyliner #4 get plugged up with crud over the  years.
A good way to get an idea on this is to open the drain cock on  the block by
cylinder #4.  If nothing comes out it is a pretty good  indication that this
is a contributing factor.
If I were you I would put on a yellow fan, flush the cooling system, see
what results you get and then go for the next step.  If you do the work  yourself
you are looking at some short money.

As well, check your timing and make sure it is not contributing to  overheat.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO
**************You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how