[TR] tr3 cooling

richard triplett rtriplett25 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 09:05:45 MST 2009

I am anticipating that winter will eventually end and would like to get some work done on my TR3A. TS75434L has a tendency to run just a little hot, even up in the cool mountains of northern new mexico. I imagine the original radiator is getting a little tired, but I would like to avoid replacing it for a while longer. It looks like I have two options to help out the underperforming radiator:

1. The original fan doesn't seem to do the best job drawing air in. Moss sells a conversion kit that fits the much-improved six bladed yellow fan. Cost: $240

2. Remove fan altogether and go electric. My guess is this will get the most airflow going. But will I miss the old fan and rush of air sound? I feel like I might be taking something away from the car by removing the fan. Cost: Less than $200.

Well, there might be an option 3: rebuild the water pump with a high flow impeller. Is this worth it?

I'm not running any additives in the coolant (aside from anitfreeze). Is water wetter or any other additive worth it to help the system cool a little better?

TIA - Richard