[TR] New distributor cap bad?

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 20 16:51:31 MST 2009

Group,
I've just now ordered and received a new set of spark plug wires and original
side-mount style distributor cap.
I went ahead and hooked up both (in proper order),  all wiring checked out ok
with my connectivity meter from the cap to the spark plug boot.

However, the center connection (inside the cap) doesn't seem to be working.
Oh, the spark plug wire from the coil works fine, (evidenced by the fact that
the metal screw that's screwed thru the rubber cable makes the connectivity
gauge buzzer sound.)

My problem is inside the cap!  No connectivity is made when touching the
plunger-contact (meant to contact the rotor) and the forementioned screw (or
it's cable-boot at the end of it's cable)!  Not even when that springy plunger
is pressed down all-the-way.  I've even tryed it when the dist. cap is turned
rightside up.

Does this mean the brand new cap (Genuine Remax brand in the grn&black box) is
bad?  How can it be rectified?  The car motor is not operable at the moment
for me to check it out in 'real-time'!

Thanks,  Paul Dorsey   60 TR3