[TR] Interesting times at the DMV

Triumph 60TR3A at cox.net
Thu Feb 19 20:26:45 MST 2009

When I bought my car from a person in Minnesota & took it to get
licensed here in AZ, theDMV cleck asked what the car was worth because
it was noy in their book.  Being honest, I told them I has paid $12K
for it.  No they said, what did the car cost new?  I guessed $2500.
Ok the clerk said & got out a depreciation table and said that it was
now worth $100 in terms of what was used to determine its annual
property tax.  I thought I should fight for the honor of my LBC, but
greed got the better of me & I said that sounded just about right!  :-)

John

On  19 Feb, 2009, at 7:51 PM, John Innis wrote:

> Iowa does the same thing to us.  This is to get out of people lying
> about the sale price of a vehicle.  Last year my parents gave my wife
> an old truck.  We didn't pay a dime for it, but still had to pay Iowa
> sales tax on it.
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Andrew Uprichard
> <auprichard at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Three weeks ago I bought a TR250 (obviously in need of total
>> restoration) in
>> PA for $750.  This car had a title, so I took it into the MA DMV to
>> pay the
>> 5% sales tax.  $750 x 0.05 = $37.50, right ?  But no, they said the
>> car was
>> worth $3500 and made me pay $175.
>>
>> I guess I should have brought a picture.......
>>
>> Andrew Uprichard

>> This list supported in part by the Vintage Triumph Register
>> http://www.vtr.org
>>

>> Triumphs at autox.team.net
>>
>> You are subscribed as jdinnis at gmail.com
>>
>> http://www.team.net/archive
>>

> --
> =================================
> = Never offend people with style when you   =
> = can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
> =================================

> http://www.vtr.org
>

> Triumphs at autox.team.net
>
> You are subscribed as 60tr3a at cox.net