[TR] Proper oil for TR4 Gearbox

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 20:09:19 MST 2009

----- pbrandsema at triad.rr.com wrote:
> I'm currently using heavy hypoid oil in my TR4 gearbox, which is
> fitted with overdrive.  I've read that a lighter oil should be used,
> that the syncromesh gears don't like the heavy stuff.

I don't think viscosity is the issue.  I think it is the sulphur and other evil stuff in hypoid oil which attacks the materials in British synchros.

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L   1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban  1994 Miata C-package  2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier