[TR] Proper oil for TR4 Gearbox

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 15:39:17 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/13/2009 5:11:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pbrandsema at triad.rr.com writes:

I don't  have the workshop manual in front of me, but I'll bet it calls for
the heavy  oil.

Correct.  90W GL-4 is the stuff.  Many who are far more  knowledgeable than I
highly recommend the 30W Non Detergent.  Apprently the  detergent oils foam a
bit.
I put 30W ND in my newly rebuilt tranny and OD and as is my habit I change
oil within the first few hundred miles on anything rebuilt.  When I drained
the 30W is ran far too thin for my liking so I went back to 90W.  I live in  FL
and it is hot so my oil situation may be different than someone who lives in
cooler climates.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO