[TR] TR3 brake light switch test

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 08:32:50 MST 2009

>  I would expect resistance
> when the brakes are off and none when the pedal is depressed.
>  Is that correct?

Need to be careful about terms here.  An open circuit (switch open, brakes
off) is infinite ohms, so many digital meters present no reading at all, or
a symbol like -E-.

A closed circuit (switch closed, brakes applied) should be zero ohms, but
many digital meters will read slightly high at the bottom end, so a
displayed value like 0.5 or 0.8 is common.  And of course making a poor
connection with the meter probes can cause almost any value to be displayed.

Also, if the switch were at zero ohms ("no resistance"), you would expect
the brake lights to be on all the time, rather than not working at all.

I would suggest getting the wiring issues sorted out first, and then revisit
the switch issue.  My experience is that they usually fail open, rather than
closed.  With the key on, you should be able to make the brake lights come
on by shorting across the switch terminals with a knife blade or length of
wire.

Randall