[TR] How do they manufacture gears?

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Wed Feb 11 10:29:47 MST 2009

Never machined a TR gear, but mainshafts were case hardened.  When my '71
TR6 ate its overdrive at about 24,000 miles (in 1972) I bought a '64 OD
transmission for parts.  Everything in the OD fit fine, except the nose of
the mainshaft was too large to fit into the beefier TR6 pilot bearing in the
back of the input gear.  Being a Saturday, and not wishing to wait to order
(or pay for) a brand new mainshaft, I tried turning down the '64 mainshaft.
A carbide tool did a great job and left a decent finish.  When I was done, I
could see a color and finish difference where I'd cut through some of the
case hardening into the softer steel beneath.  That worried me for a while,
till I looked at the nose of the original part (I'd bought this car new and
the transmission had never been touched before), and saw the same pattern,
as if it had been cut in the same way.  I wondered then and still if Triumph
hadn't cut down some earlier mainshafts for later production.

Karl

PS - It worked fine for another 12,000 miles, till I sold the car.