[TR] TR6 Trunnions

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Feb 8 17:41:08 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/8/2009 5:01:57 PM Central Standard Time, DLylis at aol.com
writes:
> I have taken the suspension apart and have found what I consider to be
> excess play between the vertical link and the trunnion.  I am cleaning
> everything
> up and rebushing but would like the lists opinion on the fit.   If I pin the
>
> lower A arms to the floor with my foot (upper A arms removed) so  the
> vertical
> link is, well . . .vertical, I can wiggle the vertical link at the  ball
> joint
> about 1/4" back and forth which would translate to  camber at the wheel.
> All
> of the play I am talking about is between  the link and the trunnion.  I
> cannot turn the trunnion down any more.
> This is my question.  Since the link is steel and the trunnion is  brass,
> will replacing just the trunnion correct this?  What can I expect  for play
> with
> new trunnions?

Is that all?  Don't expect the trunnion to control the vertical link in htis
way, that is what the upper control arms are for.  The real question is do you
have any lateral movement in the trunions.  That means if you fix the trunion
can you move the vertical link right/left of fore/aft at the trunion end of
things.  I'll bet there is little if any perceptible movement there.  Put some
poly bushings up top and see how solid your suspension is then.

Dave