[TR] Front license plates

Geo Hahn ahwahnee18 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:46:07 MST 2009

I have from time to time used a front plate on the TR3 fashioning
brackets from some stout sheet metal strapping (like you might use for
a muffler hanger).  As described in a prior response the horizontal
centerline of the plate and bumper were the same.  Didn't seem to foul
on anything and probably didn't have a big effect on cooling either.

When I lived in CA my understanding was that you didn't have to mount
the front plate but if you didn't you still had to have it in the car
and present it if requested.  The idea was to prevent it being used on
another vehicle.

Arizona is lax in this regard (as Joe notes).  Both my TRs have
'year-of-manufacture' plates, i.e. plates originally issued when they
were built... but the MVD did not ask about the front plate which
Arizona had back then.  Likely (since this was before the MVD ee was
born) they don't even know about it.

Sometimes these issues are just revenue generators.  Arizona has just
passed a couple of laws with hefty fines if the plate frame covers the
word 'Arizona' on the plate or if the plate is less that 12" from the
ground.  The latter is a problem for Big Healey drivers.  Both laws
are to address problems they are having with capturing plate images
using photo radar.

Geo