[TR] cross country caravan trip

Mike Coe coefront at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 5 09:40:53 MST 2009

Dave Massey's [Dave1massey at cs.com] TR cross country caravan trip would rival
the drive between Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper here in Alberta as a superb
summer drive {but I wouldn't recommend it as a winter drive - a pun!}. The
latter route through some of the most incredible tall and wild mountain
scenery. Along the way of which are more than adequate and great motel /
hotel housing and great camping spots or Youth Hostels [YHA] at Lake Louise,
Banff, Jasper. Plus you'll find the same accommodation off the road between
the mountains in between these towns. A tour well worth the effort for the
adventurous; and not so adventurous. Just chose a preference towards your
night sleeping spot is all. Motel / Hotel as opposed to fine Alberta
controlled camping or YHA spots with all the amenities. Mike.
coefront at shaw.ca

This gives you an indication of how the road hugs the hill side but it
doesn't show the many undulations as it negotiates the pleated canyon walls.
But I  guess you have to take the wide spots where you can find them. And to
think this was the major East-West route until fairly recently. Worth the
trip In a message dated 2/4/2009 10:46:00 AM Central Standard Time,
ahwahnee18 at gmail.com writes:  The stretch leading west from Kingman is not
to be missed. It is quite apparent that it was a WPA project and built by
hand. A lovely stretch of road. A photo of same:
http://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/Route66.JPG