[TR] [Spits] Spitfire Head

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Mon Dec 28 19:46:20 MST 2009

On 28 Dec 2009 at 18:12, Roger Elliott wrote:

> I have an 80 Spitfire...  I would hate to take the head off,
> then find out it was already at 9.0 compression.

My engine is a '76 which means it has 9:1 compression.  It was
rebuilt some years ago but I wasn't deeply involved in the actual
work so I can't speak from direct experience.  But I recall being
told, related to a very different scenario, that the higher
compression of the '76 engine was all in the head.  Question is, do
you know the history of your engine?

Can one guess compression ratio by measuring the compression?  I
recall that mine is quite high, about 160lb or something.  Or are
there too many other factors?

Wasn't something like this just discussed in a different thread, or
is my email coming in in reverse-chronological order???

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+