[TR] randall and pressure bleeder

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Mon Dec 21 19:58:34 MST 2009

On 21 Dec 2009 at 11:45, Randall wrote:

> it appeared that bubbles in the small diameter line were
> carried along with the fluid into the caliper.  Once inside
> the relatively large chamber of the caliper, they eventually
> rose to the top and out the bleed valve.

That makes sense.  I had read a previous note as saying the bubbles
rose up through the lines with a gravity bleed.  It has always seemed
to me that the tough part of the line is the vertical sweep down from
the MC, for either brakes or clutch.  If at first you don't blow a
bubble completely from that portion you'll push it down and it will
rise right back up again.  If it doesn't emerge completely into the
MC (and I'm not sure it would or wouldn't) you'd end up just pushing
it downhill for it to roll back up again, so to speak.  Sisyphus
ain't innit.  Once the bubble is in a horizontal section it has no
reason to migrate back to the MC.

But what do I know?

--
Jim Muller