[TR] tiny little tenax

Loumetelko at aol.com Loumetelko at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 19:08:35 MST 2009

When I received TS981, it came with 15 baby Tenax.  I had 8 of them
rechromed and used across the front of the cockpit for the tonneau cover.   At the
time I had no idea how elusive and frustrating it would be to find  more.
A few years ago I sent Mark Macy a stud and snap because he had  contacted a
fellow in Cincinnati who thought he could made a reproduction of the
"babies".  To be sure Mark and the machinist in Cincy contacted the Tenax
company (yes they are still in business) and Tenax told them no and if you do we
will come after you because of patent rights so that killed forever hopes of
a  reproduction run.

In front of me are two Tenax snaps, a baby and the still available standard
 size.  The base of the baby snap is 21 / 32" while the standard is 25 /
32"  so a 1 / 8" difference.  When placed side by side it is readily  apparent
which is the baby.  Making the stud is no problem - just  machine down the
head of the standard size.  The hangup is making of the  snap!

Now Frank, you understand why two certified TR2 crazies like Tom
Householder and I jumped for the keyboard yesterday morning when you  said you had a
stash of the elusive "babies".

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

In a message dated 12/20/2009 3:33:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,