[TR] TR7 with delco distributor question

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Dec 20 06:58:27 MST 2009

Brad,  No it does not have a separate pedastal.  I wish it did.  It is nearly
impossible to get to one of the 2 bolts, and you need to loosen them to set
the timing!!!!   I took a US distributor wrench, cut off the wrench head
(because none I could find were the right size), and had a friend weld a new
head on.

As I am sure you know, the ignition module inside that special cast aluminum
"electronic coil" housing is a standard Delco module.  Unfortunately, the coil
itself is unique as far as I know.  Some are pretty similar, but I never
bothered to try to make an aftermarket coil fit.

On my Spider, I deleted the Stromberg carbs, and used the UK-type SU carbs.
they work VERY well.  SM needles, btw. (stock engine with tubular exhaust
manifold, no cat).  I tried the UK version of the Delco distributor for the
vacuum advance, but it is points only, I did not see an easy way to retrofit
it to the US reluctor.  I tried an aftermarket electronic ignition for the
points type, but it was terrible because it is hard to design the chopper to
fit in the delco.  Lucas is much easier on that account.  I went back to the
US Delco and deleted vacuum advance. Of course the SU cabs are not fitted for
retard, so the engine runs on mechanical advance only.  Not a problem.

-Tony