[TR] Rack & pinion conversions for TR3's???

Alan & Lyn Dunscombe dunscomb at chch.planet.org.nz
Sat Dec 19 21:28:58 MST 2009

TeriAnn

In my opinion this is the best single thing you can do to a side-curtain
(real!) TR

Like Tom I went for the more expensive Revington conversion which comes
with brackets to weld onto the chassis to mount the R&P in exactly the
right place to eliminate the bump steer. (it is however quite expensive,
but a very complete kit & the rack is modified to the correct length so you
do not introduce extra bump-steer)

I believe the Moss one bolts onto the old steering mounts and is not quite
so rigid,
but more importantly does introduce some unwanted bump-steer.

The steering arms are reversed & spaced closer to the discs to correct the
Ackerman angle in the steering geometry that was incorrect from the factory
until the factory installed R&P with the TR4's. This, along with the
elimination of all those silly relays & ball joints etc. transforms the
driving experience more than anything else I have done to my car ( & that
is quite a few things over a 30 year period !)

There are a couple of drawbacks with the Revington conversion ( I am not
sure if it applies also to the Moss one but would think that it does...)
because you install a complete new steering column you cannot keep the horn
or indicators in the middle of the steering wheel, easily fixed but does
alter subtly the look of the car.
Because the rack is lower geared than the original steering it also pays to
install a smaller "After market" steering wheel to compensate for it, a 15"
wheel looks quite ok in my opinion and can add a touch of class to your
cockpit.

Go for it, you will not regret it I assure you,

regards from "The Deep South"
where it is summer time now...