[TR] Engine identification (Warning MG content)

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Thu Dec 17 15:52:03 MST 2009

Can anybody with an MG midget (or info about) confirm an engine number
FP69710UE as a 1979 MG Midget 1500 engine.  I just picked this up at a very
good price, and am going to use it in my wife's Spitfire.  Just so I can
confirm parts (Triumph of course) replacement - Its a complete long block,
looks like it hasn't been worked on (at least seriously) and had about 80K
on it so it's definitely in need of a rebuild.  Plugs looked sooty, but dry
(number 3 had a very slight oil to it, and confirmed .010 thrust washer
movement - so it looks like I got a winner!
I'm hoping I can just polish up the journals and install new bearings, but
that will have to wait till I can open'er up

Barry Schwartz