[TR] zenith or su's ?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 2 18:32:53 MST 2009

Wayne,

The trick to having your posts go through is to trim away the message you
are replying to.  The list server deliberately blocks messages that are not
trimmed, to cut down on storage requirements.

You wrote:
>    As for your interpretation of optimal Fuel Mixture:
>   Mine was in "     " marks meaning I copied and pasted it

Yes, and the source you copied has it wrong.  Like everything on the
Internet (including this message), it's worth what you pay for it (if you
are lucky).  Since you like Wiki, check out the article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines
There is a chart near the bottom showing the relationship between AFR &
Lambda for several types of fuel, plus some comments about "optimum"
mixture.

> Usually TR3 Owners don't have to crunch such numbers.

True, most are content to restore their cars to original and drive/show
them.  I enjoy the driving too (not showing), but I often think about things
like supercharging, electronic fuel injection, etc. as ways of increasing my
enjoyment of the car.  And since I also enjoy tinkering, any such project
would be mostly "roll my own".    So, I've collected a lot of information
over the years on things like optimum fuel/air ratio and what it really
means.

> This News Just
> In!Wikipedia Throttle Definition:

Note where it says "the mechanism by which the flow of a fluid is managed".
I don't think any reasonable person would claim that the function of the air
piston is to manage air flow, even though it does present some restriction.
Otherwise, air filters would also be called "throttles".

Fortunately, Depends are a long way in my future, tho getting closer every
year.  I've only had my current TR3 up to 90 mph or so; it still needs a lot
of work to be stable & fun at over 100.  But we have lots of nice straight
(and flat) roads around here without much traffic in the wee hours of the
morning, so I do plan to get it to that condition.  The 89mm liners & 4-2-1
exhaust are on the shelf, waiting for my Larry Young cam to come in ... In
the meantime, I need to finish rebuilding and upgrading the suspension (in
between driving to/from work, of course).

Probably I'll just use the HS6 carbs for now, even though there is a pair of
DCOEs hanging on the wall (and a Judson in the shed).  Maybe after the Stags
are back on the road (and one of them sold) I'll get more creative with the
TR.

PS, fastest I ever got clocked by the CHP in the previous TR3A was 90 mph,
but it was in rush hour traffic so I wasn't "cruising".  Fortunately, after
he calmed down (almost wrecked his cruiser trying to follow me off the
Interstate), he only wrote me up for 70, so you'll just have to take my word
for the late night runs through the desert <G>

-- Randall