[TR] zenith or su's ?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 2 16:08:21 MST 2009

>      I meant a Throttle Position Sensor or Rheostat onto the
> Piston Lift detector device I sent the link to.

Ah, I see.  My apologies for the misunderstanding.  To my warped way of
thinking, it's not a throttle position sensor unless it actually senses
throttle position, otherwise it's just an optical encoder for whatever it's
connected to.

And I probably still don't understand your comments about A/F meter
accuracy.  Best power is somewhere around .85 while best fuel economy is
somewhere around 1.1-1.2.  Since my definition of "best performance"
includes both of those points, I see no utility in a gauge that won't read
either one accurately.  But it's certainly true that a proper wide-band
sensor costs less than a new carb.

BTW, stoichiometric (Lambda = 1.0) is no longer necessarily 14.7:1.  Pretty
much all of the US is now running 'oxygenated' fuel, which requires more
fuel to reach stoich.  E10 for example takes around 14.0:1.  And while we
are exploring this road, it might be entertaining to design a setup that
would burn E85 successfully, which reaches stoich somewhere around 9.7:1.

> All that matters is that it's somewhat static across the Rev
> Range

My goals are more lofty; I want best power at any rpm when I step on the
loud pedal, combined with minimum fuel consumption (best economy) while
cruising.  And for me, 'cruising' includes anything from drifting along at
2300 rpm (~ 55 mph) to holding a constant 4200 or so (~100 mph).

-- Randall