[TR] zenith or su's ?

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Dec 1 15:35:29 MST 2009

Wayne Lee wrote:
> HS6's should be fine for improved performance over the ZS's
> in a GT6.

Well one would think so.  Unfortunately (as I wrote before, and note it wasn't my car which originated this discussion) the PO who did my conversion used HS4's from an MGB (which was 1800cc, no?).  Even further, from the serial numbers it appears they were 1980 and so would have been calibrated to idle lean and with full emissions controls in place.  The typical response, which is what I did, would be to question mixture and then if that didn't answer spend the money on needles after consulting Joe Curto.  It didn't answer, and eventually after much time and attempted tuning had elapsed another call to Joe Curto revealed that the proper springs HS4 for a TR 2000cc engine was yellow.  I ended up sending some extra needles to Randall but I don't think I ever investigated whehther the original needle swap had even been necessary.  But if anyone, Joe Curto included, had suggested to me earlier on that the springs are a swappable item too it would have save me a bit of money and a !
mort of trouble.  Until then I had had no call to think about the question.

> I know Jim meant he needed Yellow springs not Needles,

Isn't Yellow Springs some place far away from here?  Needles too, I think.
--
Jim Muller