[TR] zenith or su's ?

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Dec 1 11:00:30 MST 2009

> An Increased Spring Rate will make any specific Needle run
> richer across the whole spectrum. No Exceptions!

No argument.  However:

> You don't want to compensate for bad Needles with Springs.
> ...Sort the Car out on the road using the Volvo Needle
> then see where you are rich...
> The Springs should be your last concern.

At no point was I saying one should compensate for anything by swapping springs.  Let me try this again.

1. If the springs are incorrect but you are not aware that different springs are even available, you may be tempted to change to thinner needles (or bigger jets?) and/or tweak the idle mixture to get it to run well on the highway.  You will be changing needles and mixture to compensate for the springs, not the other way around.

2. There is a behavioral change between the piston operating in its range and topped out.  Once it is topped out the mixture will get richer as the airflow increases, regardless of how well or poorly it was set before.  If you use full-throttle behavior as a data point you will be mislead by that change.

3. It happens in real life that people make that error, swapping carbs between engines of different sizes.  My GT6 had red (IIRC) needles but needed yellow.  It took me a long time to learn this lesson.
--
Jim M