[TR] TR3 idle

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:05:59 MDT 2009

No bright bulb here, but in my dim glow (think TR dash illumination) let me
ponder. "Stalling" can have various symptoms that might help guide you. Does
it cut out precipitously or feel like it bogs down and then dies?

Cuts-out precipitously: I'd focus on ignition. If it feels the 4 cylinders
just stop as if the ignition switched off, look for something before the
dizzy cap - Capacitor, rotor, points, king lead, low tension lead, coil.

Bogging down might be due to flooding. But it doesn't seem that is your
issue

Maybe it could be the beginning of the end of the fuel pump's diaphragm?
Check the fuel filter too.

I had trouble with occasional stalling at idle. It turned out to be a
not-quite-perfectly-positioned throttle plate. Most times it stuck
and therefore idled as I'd set it; sometimes it returned to its proper
resting place and dropped the revs so low she stalled before I came to a
stop - probably if I released the throttle quicker than usual. The plate was
only a hair out of place. I caught it by separating the carbs' linkage and
worked one carb's throttle shaft at a time with the engine running until I
got to identify which had caused the issue. Lots of care re-setting the
plate by snapping the shaft against the spring and the plate against its
seat as I tightened up, checking the screws hadn't moved the plate - check
for daylight around the seated plate by looking through the throttle body.
Properly seated, this cured the issue. I now have a steady idle and no
stalling.

Brian