[TR] Piston Ring Replacement

Art Graves akgraves at cox.net
Sun Aug 30 21:02:26 MDT 2009

I have a 1976 TR6 whose last engine rebuild was 180K miles ago in 1988.
Yes, I drive my car a lot.  Lately it seemed to have less power than it
should so I did a wet/dry compression check that pointed to worn rings.  Wet
compression was 10 - 20 lbs higher.

So I replaced the rings and rod bearings.  Before I did this work I could
easily turn the crank (with plugs out) by pushing the car in 4th gear. Now
it is much more difficult, even with the head off.  In fact, by the time new
rings were on the third piston, turning the crank was more difficult.  The
starter will turn the crank, but it is definitely working hard.

I suspect this is normal and once the engine has run for a bit and the rings
have set, all will be okay.  My question is, has anyone else experienced
this?  Does this sound normal?

Thanks,

Art Graves
Tulsa, OK