[TR] tool storage

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Fri Aug 28 09:30:55 MDT 2009

At 11:07 AM 8/28/2009, Tomislav Marincic wrote:
>Ed,
>
>Can I hazard a guess that you are retired?

<snip>

>  I look forward to the day when I have enough time to be more organized.

I can certainly relate to Tom's position, but I've done it both ways.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, I was a professional
mechanic.  Got the big red Mac toolbox, the account with Snap-On, the
whole deal.  In those days, of course, time was money - but so were
tools.  At the end of each job, I'd wipe down all my tools and put
them back in their highly-organized drawers.  The reason was that I
couldn't afford to leave a tool in a customer's car, as I would never
see it again.  So, to tell at a glance that I have everything I
started with was good.  Then, when I started the next job, I could
reach out and grab the tool I wanted ~without looking~ which saved time too.

Now that I wised up <g> and went back to college, got my engineering
degree, and can afford to turn my old profession back into a hobby,
my time is divided up even more.  Thus, some jobs get left out
uncompleted, with the needed tools nearby.  but I still regularly
clean up and take inventory...I've lost tools road-testing my own cars too!

My daughter has so far shown no inclination to "borrow" my tools, so
that's not a problem...but I remember how I treated my Dad.  then I
got my own tool box for a present, and we each had a different color
of tape to mark our tools....

P.S.   At the end of the day at the VW shop, we'd clean our tools and
lock them up.  Then we'd mop the bays with mineral spirits, and wash
it down the drain.  Did I mention this was a ~long~ time ago?  But it
sure was clean...

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Corrosion Acres, Georgia         #354