[TR] Engine Weight

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 11:27:52 MDT 2009

That's true...

But when comparing the Buick/TR8/Rover/LR V8 in it's various iterations with the TR motor (either the? 6 cyl. or the 4 cyl., which are pretty close to the same weight), well you're comparing aluminum to cast iron... Literally.

There are all-aluminum Ford 302/5 liter small blocks available, too. They?seemed a bit pricey, though, last time I looked.

TerriAnn, I want to look closely at your Ford LR conversion some time, at one of the shows. I've toyed with?the idea for my '97 Disco... Actually I'd like to?drop a?turbo deisel in it and run it on used cooking oil so it?smells like tacos and french fries when I drive?by! Oh, and get better gas mileage out of it, too. I wonder what I can mate up to the ZF transmission, that won't rip the drive shafts, u-points?and axle bits?apart?

Hmmm.... Then I'd have a left over all-aluminum, fuel injected 4.0 V8 looking for a TR6 to drop into!

I sure wish Chip Foose's Overhaulin' was still on the air and?filming new shows!

Back to the original question, though....

Why use an electric winch to lift the TR motor? A standard hydraulic engine hoist from just about any place that rents tools will handle the TR motor with the 120 lb. OD gearbox attached. Or, go to Harbor Freight (or similar) and order a $40-$60 half-ton or 1-ton chain hoist to hang (very securely) from the garage ceiling. I've used both without any problems. An engine levelling attachment is helpful when working the engine/gerabox combo into or out of the?snug engine compartments?of most TRs.

I wouldn't use an electric winch with less than 2X the weight rating, just as a practical safety margin. And, as noted previously, be sure that the rating is for a hanging load, not just a pulling load rating.

Seems to me that a?500# electric winch would be a very small one. Heck, about the smallest 12V recovery winch available for the front bumper of Jeeps, Hummers and?Land Rovers is rated around 5000#, and some are well over 10,000#. There are some smaller ATV winches, but I'm not very familiar with them.

Cheers!

Alan Myers

amfoto1 at aol.com

San Jose, California
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Yes and a fully assembled TR8 engine (3.5L Rover V8 with AC, air pump, and
power steering) is actually lighter than a TR6 engine

In a message dated 8/26/2009 8:49:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,