[TR] Engine Weight

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:33:32 MDT 2009

spook01 wrote:
> zowie!  that's what a ford small block weighs!
> Best,
> Ray

I think the weight of s Ford small block is very convenient.  The one
resting inside my 1960 Land Rover with cast iron heads is slightly
heavier than the LR 2.25L four (optimistically rated at 70 HP).  And
with aluminum heads, the 302 is slightly lighter.  With a 500 CFM four
barrel the 302 got identical mileage to the Land Rover four cylinder
petrol engine but has more HP at idle than the LR four has at peak.  A
couple years ago I converted it to 1991 Mustang EFI and it now gets 3-4
MPG better on the highway and more than half again better in town mileage.

At the same weight as the LR engine there were no suspension or centre
of gravity related issues.

I wouldn't put one in my TR3, but it is a perfect solution for a 5,700
lb Land Rover  with 33.3 inch dia tyres that I used to say "goes Zero to
sixty same day.  Assuming no uphill sections or headwinds".

Teriann

The Land Rover and I will be at the Portland All British Field meet this
year.